Friday, April 2, 2010

Teething and Rice Cereal


Teething or Ear Infection?  How do you decide?  The symptoms were documented: fussy, not sleeping well, etc.  The investigation began: Fever?  No.  Gnawing on finger?  Yes!  

So there we have it, she is teething.  She has recently discovered her hands and found that if she tries hard enough, she can just barely fit all five fingers in her mouth at one time.  After realizing two of her fingers were missing (just kidding), we decided she may be teething.  

When we were kids (way back in 1984 and yes that was meant to make the older readers feel really old), almost any store you walked into sold the teething rings that you could stick in the freezer.  Well now, they are no where to be found.  Rebecca searched on the internet, we went to Rite-Aid, and CVS.  We haven't tried Wal-Mart yet, but we will.  We found a knock-off that works for now, but we've got to get our hands on some of those for Taylor bug.  

I believe I am not the only dad that has had this issue:  I realize I have no clue what is going on with my daughter.  One morning, we are concerned about Taylor's health and I tell Rebecca to call the doctor.  When I get home from work, I am told the doctor has authorized Taylor to start trying rice cereal.  How are the two events connected?  I still have no idea, but here we are.

So Wednesday (March 31st) was the day.  Here is a picture of Taylor enjoying the feeding.



Taylor experienced a variety of emotions during the feeding.  At the beginning, she was bewildered at this foreign substance entering her mouth (up until now she has only had breastmilk).  Then she seemed happy because it tasted pretty good.  Then she became frustrated (probably because she was eating stuff that had been on all corners of her mouth and her face was covered in rice cereal goo).  Then happy again, then mad, then happy.  I can't really explain it except to say it wasn't too bad.

I couldn't end this post without showing you one of my favorite recent pictures of Taylor.  Look at that smile!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Like most Taylor's I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY for Mommy Milk and fat healthy babies! :)
    Now on to a teething tip:
    Take a clean wet washcloth and tie knots in all four corners. Then stick it in the freezer. When the princess needs something to gnaw on, you give her the washcloth. The cold textured knots will feel good to her little gums.
    Ok, enough parenting tips for now. ;>
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete